Kate Upton: I feel awkward at the gym

Kate Upton is glad that "strong not skinny" is a movement now.

Actress and model Kate Upton finds it really awkward to watch herself work out at the gym.

The 23 year old has put her figure on display in The Other Women as well as on the pages of Sports Illustrated during her career but despite being the envy of women everywhere, Kate finds it difficult to check herself out in the mirror while exercising.

"I hate it but when you're weight training you have to do it to make sure you're doing the move properly, it's so awkward though," she told Hello! Magazine.

prom dresses

Kate still enjoys exercising however, and has a regular routine of activities she likes to stick to. Strength training and cardio both feature in the plan and Kate finds the variety really works for her.

"So I train about four times a week," she added. "Mixing it up with light weights, lengthening body weight exercises, yoga, and boxing."

Kate receives a lot of comments about her curvaceous figure, but she insisted to the outlet that she will always prefer that label over "skinny".

"I do love that 'strong not skinny' is a movement now," she smiled. "When I first started out, it was just 'skinny, skinny, skinny'. And I want to be strong because I'm working 12-hour days and I want to do it with energy and happiness and I want to go out with my friends and enjoy my life."

That doesn't mean Kate is 100 per cent satisfied with her body, and admitted earlier this year (15) that she has body hang ups as much as anyone else.

"Every person has insecurities," she told Britain's ES Magazine. "But this is the body I was given, I appreciate it and I try to take care of it every day as best I can, but I always enjoy my life. So I'm not going to let my insecurities stop me from enjoying life. I always am (body shy)."

pink prom dresses